Do you have what it takes? SouthSouthNorth (SSN) is looking for self-motivated and enthusiastic operations and finance intern to join their team.
SSN promotes sustainable development while addressing climate change.
The ideal candidate will have a background in commerce, business science, financial management, accounting or economics.
Position Title: Operations and Finance Intern
Location: Cape Town, South Africa.
Remuneration: R8 500 /m
SouthSouthNorth (SSN) is a non-profit company working on projects that promote sustainable development and address climate change.
SouthSouthNorth has an internship programme which looks to source self-motivated, enthusiastic talent.
This internship intake focuses on personnel with financial and operational support to project managers.
This internship also offers a uniquely broad perspective into the workings of SSN, and applicants can expect to encounter a diverse and engaging range of tasks including:
- Operational and financial project management, research development, knowledge management, and logistic support.
The internship programme is designed to allow interns the opportunity to engage with a number of support functions within our office and quickly get a sense of the variety of projects SouthSouthNorth is implementing.
Examples of the types of functional areas that the intern may be exposed to within the six-month period include:
Project management and operational support:
- Support project managers with operational and financial management
- Basic budget forecasts and tracking of deliverables across a suite of projects
- Collate reports and feedback from multiple project partners
- Create and manipulate quantitative analysis worksheets
- Liaise with project managers and compile administrative inputs (e.g. taking meeting minutes, checking expense claims and supplier invoices, uploading deliverables to databases as requested)
- Ad hoc research support to scale up existing SouthSouthNorth projects and programmes
- Ad hoc literature reviews and background research to support project managers in scoping new projects and programmes
- Support for alignment and coordination of activities
Assistance with logistics:
- Ad hoc logistics support and/or arrangements for various programmes being implemented by SouthSouthNorth (e.g. convening scientific workshops, logistics for side events at conferences, arrangements supporting online forums and webinars)
- Workshop note taking and collation of input/feedback
- Transcribing audio and video input from workshops
Competencies and personal qualities
- Excellent interpersonal skills, as well as English verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent computer skills with a focus on excel
- Excellent finance and project management skills
- Proactive with an inclination to take on tasks which fall outside the applicant’s skill and experience set
- Ability to work in a flexible and fluid working environment
- Ability to multi-task easily and manage time efficiently
- Positive attitude and willingness to learn through doing
- Energetic and self-motivated
- Accuracy and precision
- particularly regarding quantitative analysis – Critical thinking and an ability to distill a complex problem into key elements
- At least an undergraduate qualification (or equivalent experience). Candidates with a background in commerce, business science, financial management, accounting, or economics will be given preference.
Two-part Application process To apply, complete the following two steps:
1. Google form: APPLICATION FORM HERE
2. Please email your CV and a covering letter to email protected.
Subject line: “Application: SouthSouthNorth 2018. Internship Hub: your name and surname”. Applications will close at mid-day (12 PM) on Wednesday 31 January 2018.
No late applications will be permitted and we will contact shortlisted candidates within one week of the closing date.
If you are not contacted within this time period please consider your application unsuccessful.
Unfortunately we are not able to offer feedback on any application made for this job posting.
SouthSouthNorth reserves the right to not make an appointment.