CapeTownMagazine.com is looking for a hardworking and go-getting intern to join its content team. We’re looking for a bright-eyed, bushy-tailed writer/journalist with a spirit of discovery. Who will help craft articles, collate overviews, dabble in social media and lend a logistical hand around the office (note: the only coffee you’ll be fetching will be your own, so don’t worry about that).
<!-- Responsive -->
The intern will need to work quickly and well under pressure and will need to be gifted with words and be a go-getter.
There’s opportunity to shoulder some serious responsibility here and to gain some valuable insight into the world of online publishing. Plus, there’s also a chance that the internship could evolve into a permanent position should you prove yourself an invaluable addition to the team.
- Write events
- Update “7 Things to do in Cape Town this Weekend”
- Fact-check and update overviews and put together new overviews
- Write feature covering all over sections
- Source photos and videos and edit pics using Adobe Photoshop
- Incorporate SEO best practice into the articles
- Upload content on the CMS
- Write social media posts from time to time
- Partake in monthly content planning meetings and pitch ideas for future stories
- Upload articles and pictures onto a CMS system
- Help with compiling the weekly newsletter
- Conduct interviews, research and collect accurate information for overviews and features
- Make a concerted effort to meet all deadlines
- Strong writing ability with a good grasp of grammar and spelling (this will be tested)
- A degree/diploma in Journalism/English/Media Studies (advantageous but not essential)
- Accustomed to a fast-paced environment
- A positive can-do attitude
- A hard-core work ethic and a serious interest in getting the most of this experience
- Understanding of SEO (advantageous but not essential)
- Experience using CMS (advantageous but not essential)
- Social media experience
- An aptitude to understand different processes
- A structured multi-tasker
- Knowledge of Photoshop (advantageous but not essential)
- Sound research skills
- Knowledge of Hootsuite
- Familiarity with Google Analytics
- Own transport and driver’s licence
- The solid worker that can handle pressure and create good content quickly.
- A person that loves to be in the know about all things in Cape Town and the Western Cape
- Positive attitude
- A key interest in SEO and online media channels
If interested, send your CV, a short letter of motivation and two writing samples to Justin Williams firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please use ‘Application for 2018 Editorial Internship’ as your email subject line. Shortlisted candidates will be required to complete a writing test.
Please note that if you have not heard from us within a month of sending your CV you should regard your application as unsuccessful.